Techdirt: Trump Administration Tells Supreme Court DOGE Can’t Be FOIAed

The destructive force that is DOGE still somehow manages to exist, despite it not being (depending on which claim is made and when) an official federal agency and/or overseen by anyone specifically identifiable as the head of DOGE.

Until recently, everyone — including Donald Trump — knew (and said as much in public) that DOGE was both a government agency and headed by Elon Musk. When the lawsuits started flying, the backtracking began by the administration, which apparently thought it could cover its tracks by walking backwards in its golf-cleated clown shows.

Trump’s love for DOGE has managed to undercut the protections DOGE hoped it would be able to avail itself of when the FOIA requests began pouring in and the discovery demands started hitting federal dockets.

CNN: Trump returns to Supreme Court with emergency appeal over mass firings

The Trump administration returned to the Supreme Court on Monday to ask the justices to reverse a lower court order that has blocked mass firings and major reorganizations at federal agencies, a case that could have enormous implications for the president’s power to reshape the federal government.

The latest emergency appeal involving President Donald Trump’s second term to reach the Supreme Court followed an order last week from the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals that kept on hold Trump’s plans for the sweeping layoffs – known as reductions in force, or RIFs.

Loser Trump has lost at the first two levels (district court & court of appeals); let’s make it 3 for 3!

https://www.cnn.com/2025/06/02/politics/trump-returns-to-supreme-court-with-emergency-appeal-over-mass-firings

Alternet: America ‘being ripped apart’: Vietnam vet removes U.S. flag in Trump protest

Vietnam marine Morgan Akin, 84, has taken down his American flag, and he’s outspoken about his opposition to the White House in his conservative California community.

“He’s just tearing the country apart. The whole fabric of the country is just being ripped apart,” Akin said of President Donald Trump. “The worst part is the people that are getting hurt – the migrants that came here in earnest.”

The Guardian reports Akin took down his flag after flying it for decades. He says this is an official stand against a nation that has become unrecognizable to him over the decades. He says it “won’t fly again until things get straightened out down the line and administrations change.”

https://www.alternet.org/donald-trump-veterans-2672248921

Salon: Trouble for law firms that bent to Trump orders: Clients say firms “don’t have a hard line”

Law firms like Paul Weiss that bent to the Trump administration’s demands are finding that big-name clients prefer to take their business elsewhere, The Wall Street Journal reported Monday.

McDonald’s and Oracle are among the growing list of clients choosing to part ways with the appeasing firms. General counsels have concerns about whether these law firms could be trusted to fight it out for them in the courtroom and in negotiations, the Journal reported, when they so easily bent to Trump’s demands.

Nobody likes a weasel!

https://www.salon.com/2025/06/02/trouble-for-law-firms-that-bent-to-orders-clients-say-firms-dont-have-a-hard-line

Associated Press: Immigration official defends tactics against criticism of a heavy hand as arrests rise nationwide

Todd Lyons, ICE’s acting director, turned emotional when asked to explain why officials wear masks. He said some have received death threats and been harassed online.

“I’m sorry if people are offended by them wearing masks, but I’m not going to let my officers and agents go out there and put their lives on the line, their family on the line because people don’t like what immigration enforcement is,” he said at a news conference in Boston to announce nearly 1,500 arrests in the region as part of a month-long “surge operation.”

Lyons was leaving the room when a reporter asked him about the masks. He returned to the podium.

“Is that the issue here that we’re just upset about the masks?” he asked. “Or is anyone upset about the fact that ICE officers’ families were labeled terrorists?”

Lyons may have been referring to comments by San Diego Councilman Sean Elo-Rivera, who called ICE officers “terrorists” after Friday’s restaurant raid. “This isn’t safety. It’s state-sponsored terrorism,” Elo-Rivera wrote on Instagram.

Gestapo? Terrorists? Thugs? ICE is receiving the reputation it has earned. And I could care less if the poor bully boys are harassed, either online or in public — they’ve earned it.

https://apnews.com/article/ice-agents-masked-boston-deportations-todd-lyons-4fa874908a64b12f1b1ee0be3825fb39

Atlanta Black Star News: ‘Kids Who Are Trying to Avoid Getting Caught in a Crime’ Kicked to the Curb By Donald Trump’s Abrupt Job Corps Shutdown, Sparking Uproar

Among a cascade of bad news, Tiffany Davis faces an impossible dilemma.

After they lost their home, Davis’ 16-year-old son Carleton moved into Detroit Job Corps on the city’s west side.

On Friday, the career training facility for youths was abruptly shut down. No warning or explanation given. Carleton was one of dozens of inhabitants forced to pack all his belongings into trash bags and relocate.

That heartbreaking choice was foisted upon the Davis’ and other families like theirs by budget cuts ordered by President Donald Trump at the Department of Labor.

Reuters:Top US immigration officials defend arrest of Massachusetts high school student

The head of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement [Todd Lyons, the acting director of ICE] defended on Monday his agency’s decision to arrest a Massachusetts high school student on his way to volleyball practice, saying “he’s in this country illegally and we’re not going to walk away from anybody.”

He’s a child who has been here since the age of five. He knows no other country.

And people wonder why ICE is so reviled?

Lyons and Patricia Hyde, the acting field director of ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations in Boston, said Gomes was not the target of the investigation that led to his arrest and that authorities instead were seeking his father, who remains at large.

A federal judge issued an emergency order on Sunday preventing authorities from transferring Gomes out of Massachusetts for at least 72 hours in response to a lawsuit arguing he was unlawfully detained.

The lawsuit said that Gomes entered the United States on a student visa. While his student visa status has lapsed, the lawsuit said he is eligible for and intends to apply for asylum.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/top-us-immigration-officials-defend-arrest-massachusetts-high-school-student-2025-06-02

San Antonio News: Children zip-tied at San Antonio immigration court in new crackdown

The children were between the ages of 9 and 12.

At least three migrant children were taken into custody and restrained with zip ties at the San Antonio Immigration Court, located at 800 Dolorosa Street, on Thursday, May 29, according to multiple sources.

The incident was captured on video by an immigration attorney, who then shared the footage with attendees of an immigration law conference being held this week at the Grand Hyatt San Antonio Riverwalk Hotel by the Catholic Legal Immigration Network Inc., or CLINIC.

CLINIC is an immigration law advocacy group that “provides training and support” to more than 400 Catholic and community-based immigration legal aid organizations, according to their website.

The children — two boys and a girl who appeared to be between the ages of 9 and 12 years old — were detained and zip-tied, along with adults who appeared to be relatives, after an immigration judge had dismissed their case, according to Carolina Rivera, an immigration attorney who serves as a federal advocate and liaison for CLINIC. That dismissal should have meant they were no longer subject to removal proceedings, Rivera said.

“Not only is the detention worrisome, but now we’re at an extra level of worrisome of why are children being zip-tied and traumatized by this?” Rivera said.

Guillermo Hernandez III, a San Antonio-based immigration attorney, also confirmed to MySA that the children were arrested and placed in zip ties Thursday morning.

Like Rivera, Hernandez said this sort of treatment of children is something new.

“We’ve never seen them detain family units, children, like this. And I think it’s part of this administration to round up as many immigrants as possible,” Hernandez said. “We have not seen this before, and I think the point is to instill fear and kind of be cruel about this process.”

But it’s unclear why the children were zip-tied during their detention or why they were detained at all. An email sent to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, the federal agency tasked with enforcing immigration law, did not yield an immediate response.

The arrest of the children comes a day after reports that agents dressed in plain clothes with nothing to identify them as federal immigration officials were arresting people as they emerged from the immigration courthouse.

KSAT reported on Wednesday, May 28, that its crews observed two charter buses parked outside the immigration court, where witnesses saw agents detaining people as they left the court. But Hernandez said the courthouse arrests first began in San Antonio last Thursday.

It’s unclear if those agents, or the ones who took the children into custody on Thursday, work for ICE. Rivera said when CLINIC-affiliated officials asked the agents to identify themselves, they replied that “they were FBI.”

While the FBI does not normally tackle immigration enforcement, that has begun to change under the second Trump administration. Just this week, NBC News reported on a policy shift requiring FBI field offices around the country to reassign significant portions of their resources toward immigration.

The FBI San Antonio Field Office oversees federal law enforcement across 17 counties in South Texas, including its headquarters in Bexar County. But it also maintains six satellite offices that span 42 counties, from Waco in Central Texas down to Brownsville in the Rio Grande Valley.

The Trump administration has also substantially expanded its policy on the expedited removal of migrants who have been in the United States for less than two years — something permissible under the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (IIRIRA). But the policy has been limited several times in the decades since IIRIRA became law, such as only being applied to migrants apprehended within 100 miles of a land border.

President Donald Trump expanded its implementation during his first presidential term before the policy was again limited by former President Joe Biden. On Jan. 24 of this year, the Trump administration again expanded the expedited removal policy. That rescission also undid a Biden-era prohibition on arresting migrants at so-called “sensitive places,” such as churches, schools, hospitals and courthouses.

The matter is currently mired in litigation, but until the courts sort it out, the public will continue to see immigration agents arresting people in places that have traditionally been off-limits — something that will stoke fear, Rivera said.

“Because of that policy change, we’re seeing what’s happening now. It’s ICE in courtrooms, so that’s gonna create fear around people… that is gonna have an effect on the individuals that are seeking asylum,” Rivera said.

For the experienced immigration attorney-turned-immigration-law-advocate, seeing children restrained by zip ties is disturbing. And it’s something she’s only seen happen under Trump.

“It’s shocking. It’s not how we want to portray ourselves, our country. It’s just not right,” Rivera said.

May 29, 2025
Dina Arévalo
South Texas Reporter

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/migrant-kids-zip-tied-20351707.php

MSNBC: Tom Homan’s financial ties to private prison locking up immigrants raise questions

New disclosure forms revealed by The Washington Post show Trump’s border czar was paid thousands of dollars by a company making money from deportations before he joined the administration.

One of the top architects of Donald Trump’s immigration agenda previously received thousands of dollars from a company raking in millions from deportations.

But the White House says that there’s nothing wrong with this situation.

What’s more, border czar Tom Homan is just the most recent official in his administration who we have learned was paid by the private prison company Geo Group in the past. According to federal disclosure forms, Attorney General Pam Bondi previously earned money as a lobbyist for the company in Trump’s first term.

Geo Group also gave $1 million dollars to the Make America Great Again PAC which backed Trump’s 2024 presidential campaign. Last year, after Trump was elected, the company’s CEO, Brian Evans, estimated that Geo Group could make an additional $400 million annually as a result of Trump’s planned deportations. And indeed, the company is one of multiple private prison companies making a profit from locking up immigrants for the administration. So much so, that on a conference call earlier this year, the company’s executive chairman said “we’ve never seen anything like this before” while referencing the speed with which the Trump administration has sought to procure contracts with Geo Group.

https://www.msnbc.com/top-stories/latest/trump-border-tom-homan-private-prison-immigrants-rcna209544

Raw Story: ‘Second biggest scandal’: Trump accused of new grift that puts Qatari plane in Shade

“The plane is the second-biggest scandal on this trip,” Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT) told Raw Story. “The $2 billion crypto investment in Trump stablecoin [by an Emirati firm] is the more offensive grift.”

Now, Trump is unshackled. The president and his sons aren’t even pretending to close shop: they’re expanding, thirsty for deals like the one they signed in April to build a golf club in Qatar.

“What he’s doing is already illegal, so we don’t actually need a statute for that,” Schatz told Raw Story. “Now I would say his corruption complicates the conversation for sure, but I am not one of these people who think we need to make a new law to reiterate that the existing laws shouldn’t be broken.”

As for the confluence of multi-billion dollar crypto investments, real-estate deals and a $400 million plane?

“That’s just what we know,” Whitehouse said. “I don’t think it gets better.”

https://www.rawstory.com/raw-investigates/trump-qatar-plane-2672031382