Newsom Beats Trump As Court Curtails POTUS’ “Illegal” Use Of Troops In L.A.

Donald Trump has just been ordered by a federal judge to “return control of the California National Guard to the Governor of the State of California forthwith.”

In an order handed down Thursday just a couple of hours after a pitched hearing in San Francisco between Department of Justice lawyers and Golden State attorneys, Judge Charles Breyer awarded Gavin Newsom the temporary restraining order he sought over Trump’s federalization of the California National Guard on June 7 after protests over ICE raids of undocumented immigrants in and around L.A.

“At this early stage of the proceedings, the Court must determine whether the President followed the congressionally mandated procedure for his actions,” the judge wrote in a 36-page order this evening. “He did not.” The Bill Clinton appointed judge added: “His actions were illegal — both exceeding the scope of his statutory authority and violating the Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution.”

Newsom and the state Attorney General first filed suit against Trump, Defense Sec. Pete Hegseth and others in the administration on June 9. The gist of their argument was that the president overstepped his authority when he dispatched National Guard troops to the region to respond to protests of ICE immigration raids late last week. The governor said the president violated the law by not consulting with him first before the deployment.

On June 11, Newsom upped the ante and demanded a TRO to halt the troop movement and Trump’s brazen authoritarian tactics ASAP

Having already warned on “a monarchy” in the hearing earlier today, Breyer worried that “Defendants’ actions also threaten to chill legitimate First Amendment expression.” To that, and with the overriding Constitutional and jurisdictional issues at play, he laid out exactly what’s next for Newsom and Trump with this halting of military deployment to America’s second-largest city:

For the foregoing reasons, the Court GRANTS Plaintiffs’ motion for a temporary restraining order:
Defendants are temporarily ENJOINED from deploying members of the California National Guard in Los Angeles.

Defendants are DIRECTED to return control of the California National Guard to Governor Newsom. 
The Court further STAYS this order until noon on June 13, 2025.

Plaintiffs are ORDERED to post a nominal bond of $100 within 24 hours. The bond shall be filed in the Clerk’s Office and be deposited into the registry of the Court. If said bond is not posted by the aforementioned date and time, this Order shall be dissolved.

Defendants are further ORDERED TO SHOW CAUSE why a preliminary injunction should not issue. A hearing on this order to show cause will be held on June 20, 2025 at 10 a.m. Plaintiffs’ moving papers shall be filed no later than June 16, 2025; Defendants’ opposition shall be due no later than June 18, 2025, and Plaintiffs’ reply shall be due on June 19, 2025.

Whether or not this White House complies with Breyer’s order is another matter.

https://deadline.com/2025/06/trump-court-ruling-troops-la-newsom-1236432420

Mediaite: Defiant Gavin Newsom Hits Back at Trump in Primetime Address: ‘Brazen Abuse of Power’

California Governor Gavin Newsom slammed President Donald Trump on Tuesday night as federal troops remained in Los Angeles amid protests against Trump’s immigration raids.

The latest demonstrations began on Friday after Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents carried out raids in the city looking for undocumented immigrants. Trump responded by federalizing 4,000 California National Guard soldiers and deploying 700 Marines to the area over Newsom’s objection. It is the first time a president has done so since 1965.

After a largely uneventful day among the protests, Newsom delivered remarks in a televised address.

“On Saturday morning, when federal agents jumped out of an unmarked van near a Home Depot parking lot, they began grabbing people, a deliberate targeting of a heavily Latino suburb,” he said. “A similar scene played out when a clothing company was raided downtown. In other actions, a U.S. citizen nine months pregnant was arrested. A four-year-old girl taken, families separated, friends quite literally disappearing. In response. Every day, Angelenos came out to exercise their constitutional right to free speech and assembly to protest their government’s actions.”

Newsom went on to say that Los Angeles deployed police to help maintain order and that they did so “with some exceptions.”

“Like many states, California is no stranger to this sort of unrest,” he went on. “We manage it regularly and with our own law enforcement. But this, again, was different. What then ensued was the use of tear gas, flash bang grenades, rubber bullets, federal agents detaining people and undermining their due process rights.”

The governor then took Trump to task for federalizing the state’s National Guard.

“This brazen abuse of power by a sitting president inflamed a combustible situation, putting our people, our officers, and even our National Guard at risk,” he said. “That’s when the downward spiral began. He doubled down on his dangerous National Guard deployment by fanning the flames even harder. And the president, he did it on purpose. As the news spread throughout L.A., anxiety for family and friends ramped up. Protests started again. By night, several dozen lawbreakers became violent and destructive. They vandalized property. They tried to assault police officers.”

Newsom noted that the state is challenging the troop deployments in court and said the president wants chaos.

“Trump and his loyalists, they thrive on division because it allows them to take more power and exert even more control,” he added. “And by the way, Trump, he’s not opposed to lawlessness and violence as long as it serves him. What more evidence do we need than January 6th?”

He concluded:

It’s time for all of us to stand up. Justice Brandeis – who said it best – in a democracy, the most important office, with all due respect, Mr. President, is not the presidency. And it’s certainly not governor. The most important office is office of citizen at this moment. At this moment, we all need to stand up and be held to a higher level of accountability.

If you exercise your First Amendment rights, please, please do it peacefully. I know many of you are feeling deep anxiety, stress, and fear. But I want you to know that you are the antidote to that fear and that anxiety. What Donald Trump wants most is your fealty, your silence, to be complicit in this moment. Do not give in to him.

NBC News: Nationwide protests loom over Trump’s upcoming military parade

Trump warned that protesters at the parade will be met with “very big force.” He drew no distinction between peaceful and violent protesters.

President Donald Trump warned Tuesday that anyone who protests at the U.S. military parade here on Saturday will be met with “very heavy force.”

Trump told reporters in the Oval Office that they’re going to be “celebrating big on Saturday,” referring to the parade that will wind its way through downtown Washington, D.C.

“If there’s any protester that wants to come out, they will be met with very big force,” Trump said. “I haven’t even heard about a protest, but you know, this is people that hate our country, but they will be met with very heavy force.”

Heil, Trump!

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/nationwide-protests-loom-trump-military-parade-rcna211789

New York Times: Trump Declares Dubious Emergencies to Amass Power, Scholars Say

In disputes over protests, deportations and tariffs, the president has invoked statutes that may not provide him with the authority he claims.

To hear President Trump tell it, the nation is facing a rebellion in Los Angeles, an invasion by a Venezuelan gang and extraordinary foreign threats to its economy.

Citing this series of crises, he has sought to draw on emergency powers that Congress has scattered throughout the United States Code over the centuries, summoning the National Guard to Los Angeles over the objections of California’s governor, sending scores of migrants to El Salvador without the barest hint of due process and upending the global economy with steep tariffs.

Legal scholars say the president’s actions are not authorized by the statutes he has cited and are, instead, animated by a different goal.

“He is declaring utterly bogus emergencies for the sake of trying to expand his power, undermine the Constitution and destroy civil liberties,” said Ilya Somin, a libertarian professor at Antonin Scalia Law School who represents a wine importer and other businesses challenging some of Mr. Trump’s tariffs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2025/06/10/us/politics/trump-emergency-powers-invasion.html?unlocked_article_code=1.N08.tEO-.S_2DmAE6Yws9&smid=url-share

CNBC: Elon Musk says he regrets some social media posts he made about Trump

  • Elon Musk on Wednesday said he regretted some of the social media posts he made about U.S. President Donald Trump last week.
  • Musk and Trump had engaged in an explosive public feud over social media.
  • It was largely triggered by Musk’s opposition to the Trump-backed “One Big Beautiful Bill Act” tax and spending bill.

Tech billionaire Elon Musk on Wednesday said he regretted some of the social media posts he made about U.S. President Donald Trump last week during an explosive public dispute with his former close ally.

A post in which Musk replied “yes” to a social media user calling for Trump to be impeached and replaced with Vice President JD Vance also appeared to have been deleted.

In turn, Trump on Monday said he was planning to retain the Starlink technology, a satellite internet service that is part of Musk’s SpaceX, at the White House.

Are the cry babies getting along again?

https://www.cnbc.com/2025/06/11/elon-musk-says-he-regrets-some-social-media-posts-during-trump-showdown.html

New York Times: Mexican Flags Have Become Republican Fodder, but Protesters Keep Waving Them

Images of Los Angeles protesters waving Mexican flags have gone viral in conservative circles this week. Many protesters say they are aware of the political reaction but won’t put their flags away.

But protesters said this week that they see the Mexican flag as a symbol of defiance against Mr. Trump’s immigration policies or of solidarity with other Mexican Americans. The flag has become so ubiquitous in recent decades that it is a part of the Southern California landscape, adorning pickup trucks and flapping from bridges. Few mass gatherings occur in the region without a Mexican flag or two, from weekend soccer matches to Los Angeles Dodgers championship parades.

This week, those who kept waving them said that it was important to honor their heritage and not acquiesce to Mr. Trump, even while they recognized the potential political cost. They said that the flag to them was not un-American, that it represented their Chicano roots rather than a national allegiance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2025/06/11/us/la-protests-mexican-flags-republican-reaction.html?unlocked_article_code=1.OE8.g1hA.vlsUVEmrDjkH

LA Times: LA police swiftly enforce downtown curfew as protests against Trump’s immigration crackdown continue

After days of fiery protest against federal immigration raids, Los Angeles residents and officials braced for the arrival of hundreds of U.S. Marines on Tuesday in what some called an unprecedented and potentially explosive deployment of active-duty troops with hazy mission objectives.

As Trump administration officials vowed to crack down on “rioters, looters and thugs,” state local officials decried the mobilization of 700 troops from the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, calling it a clear violation of law and civility. L.A. Mayor Karen Bass even likened the deployment to “an experiment” that nobody asked to be a part of.

According to the U.S. Northern Command, which oversees troops based in the United States, the Marines will join “seamlessly” with National Guard troops under “Task Force 51” — the military’s designation of the Los Angeles force

Air Force Gen. Gregory Guillot told The Times on Tuesday that the troops are in Los Angeles only to defend federal property and federal personnel and do not have arrest power.

It’s the “defend” part that we’re all afraid of — “defend” to the military means “destroy”.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/marines-on-streets-of-la-bring-peril-questions/ar-AA1Gt3Yk

Wall Street Journal: How Home Depot Became Ground Zero in Trump’s Deportation Push

White House tells ICE to target the retail giant, disrupting the company’s relationship with day laborers outside its stores

President Trump’s immigration crackdown is starting to show up in and around the parking lots of Home Depot stores across the country.

https://www.wsj.com/business/retail/home-depot-immigration-ice-deportations-8027689d

Washington Post: Trump to ramp up transfers to Guantánamo, including citizens of allies

Plans show the administration is preparing to send thousands of foreigners to the infamous detention facility, including people from Britain, France and Italy, with no intent to notify their home governments.

The Trump administration is preparing to begin the transfer of potentially thousands of foreigners who are in the United States illegally to the U.S. military base in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, starting as early as this week, according to U.S. officials familiar with the matter.

The foreign nationals under consideration hail from a range of countries. They include hundreds from friendly European nations, including Britain, Italy, France, Germany, Ireland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Lithuania, Poland, Turkey and Ukraine, but also other parts of the world, including many from Haiti. Officials shared the plans with The Washington Post, including some documents, on the condition of anonymity because the matter is considered highly sensitive.

The administration is unlikely to inform the foreigners’ home governments about the impending transfers to the infamous military facility, including close U.S. allies such as Britain, Germany and France, the officials said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2025/06/10/trump-guantanamo-deportations

Daily Mail: ICE prepares full assault on five Democrat cities as LA goes into lockdown amid immigration riots

Donald Trump is set to deploy ICE tactical units to five Democrat-run cities amid the riots in Los Angeles as Gavin Newsom nearly broke into tears while blaming his administration for inciting the California chaos.

The military-style units are set to storm New York City, Seattle, Chicago, Philadelphia and northern VirginiaMSNBC reported. Four of those five are heavily blue cities, while northern Virginia contains the Democrat enclave of Alexandria. 

‘Look, this isn’t just about protests here in Los Angeles, when Donald Trump sought blanket authority to commandeer the National Guard. He made that order apply to every state in this nation,’ Newsom said, as he teared up. 

‘This is about all of us. This is about you. California may be first, but it clearly will not end here. Other states are next. Democracy is next. Democracy is under assault before our eyes, this moment we have feared has arrived.’

Newsom accused Trump of ‘taking a wrecking ball to our founding fathers’ historic project’ of three co-equal branches of government. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-14800391/ICE-prepares-assault-five-Democrat-cities-LA-goes-lockdown.html