Slingshot News: ‘Innocent Americans Are Suffering’: Karoline Leavitt Accidentally Tells The Truth, Admits Trump’s Government Shutdown Is Hurting The American People [Video]

During today’s White House press briefing, press secretary Karoline Leavitt admitted that Trump’s government shutdown is hurting the American people. Leavitt stated, “Innocent Americans are suffering.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/innocent-americans-are-suffering-karoline-leavitt-accidentally-tells-the-truth-admits-trump-s-government-shutdown-is-hurting-the-american-people/vi-AA1P3QAp

MSNBC: Booker: ‘I don’t trust the word of Republicans’ amid shutdown fight [Video]

“I don’t trust this president. I don’t trust the word of Republicans. I want to see something substantive,” says Sen. Cory Booker as Democrats stand firm on their healthcare fight amid the government shutdown.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/booker-i-don-t-trust-the-word-of-republicans-amid-shutdown-fight/vi-AA1P0jTE

Reuters: DHS purchase of business jets during shutdown draws Democrats’ ire

Democrats in Congress on Saturday criticized the Trump administration’s decision to buy two Gulfstream G700 jets for $172 million during the ongoing government shutdown that are to be used by Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem and other senior leaders.

The U.S. Coast Guard entered into a sole-source contract on Friday, according to a government contracting website. The jets will be used for the Coast Guard’s Long Range Command Control fleet of aircraft.

DHS said in a statement late Friday that the new jets are needed because it currently relies on a Gulfstream CG-101 G550 jet that is over 20 years old, outside of the aircraft’s service life “and well beyond operational usage hours for a corporate aircraft.”

The department said it would not allow the federal shutdown “to slow down this process” of replacing the jet, but Democrats want to know where the money is coming from.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/dhs-purchase-business-jets-during-shutdown-draws-democrats-ire-2025-10-18

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/dhs-purchase-of-business-jets-during-shutdown-draws-democrats-ire/ar-AA1OJHUk

Mirror US: Trump admin will ‘incite’ violence during No Kings protest, ex-GOP warns

Around 2,700 No Kings protests are expected to sweep across the nation on Saturday, making it the largest peaceful protest in American history.

“What my former party is scared to death of – and some have told me this privately – is mammoth peaceful protests,” said Walsh, who quit the GOP in 2013. “That’s what scares the heck out of them. What they want is violence, what they want is division – they don’t want millions and millions of Americans united in defending democracy.”

https://www.themirror.com/news/politics/trump-admin-incite-violence-during-1453143

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-admin-will-incite-violence-during-no-kings-protest-ex-gop-warns/ar-AA1OJjKw

Newsweek: Donald Trump’s mass layoffs hit by another legal blow

The Trump administration’s threat of mass layoffs in response to the ongoing government shutdown received another blow on Friday when a federal judge ruled a temporary restraining order she imposed earlier this week barring firings applies to additional federal workers.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trumps-mass-layoffs-hit-by-another-legal-blow-10899702

Philip DeFranco: AOC Just Exposed Trump’s Real Motive Behind Shutdown Hurting MAGA [Video]

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez discusses her view of Trump’s motives behind the government shutdown and its impact on MAGA supporters.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/aoc-just-exposed-trump-s-real-motive-behind-shutdown-hurting-maga/vi-AA1OIPcR

Fox News: ‘We don’t want anything’: Trump speaks on Republican Party’s stance on government shutdown

President Donald Trump answers questions on the government shutdown.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/we-don-t-want-anything-trump-speaks-on-republican-party-s-stance-on-government-shutdown/vi-AA1OCkEx


Fucking liars! The Republicans want to raise health insurance costs substantially for millions of American.

ABC News: Special education staff decimated after shutdown firings: Sources

“Who the heck is going to administer this program?”

The nation’s special education services have been significantly impacted after Friday’s mass layoffs within the Department of Education and it could have an immediate impact on children with disabilities, education department sources told ABC News.

“Do people realize that this is happening to this population of vulnerable students?” one education department leader told ABC News.

“[If] there’s no staff, who the heck is going to administer this program? That’s the absurdity of this,” the source, who asked not to be identified for fear of retribution, added.

The department leader stressed that several employees within the offices of Special Education Programs and the Rehabilitative Services Administration — the two divisions that make up the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS) — were cut over the weekend.

The agency enforces the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), the law creating a free and appropriate education for children with disabilities, and funds special education services to the tune of around $15 billion.

The education department leader called the layoffs to this division “ridiculous,” contending that families of special needs students will be harmed.

“There is a risk that the money to educate their children will not be given to the state, and that their access to support and advocacy for their children with special needs will no longer continue because there is no staff available to administer IDEA,” the department leader noted.

The education department is the smallest cabinet-level agency in the U.S. government.

At the start of the Trump administration, the department had just over 4,000 employees. After buyouts, early retirements, voluntary separations and a Reduction in Force, the agency was shrunk nearly in half earlier this year.

Multiple sources said several departmental offices have now been gutted again, including the offices of Communications and Outreach, Elementary and Secondary Education and other divisions.

A lawsuit brought by the American Federation of Government Employees, the largest union of federal workers, said the education department RIFed 466 employees – or at least another 20% of the agency’s workforce — during the shutdown.

Rachel Gittleman, the president of AFGE Local 252, believes all remaining offices in OSERS below the senior executive services level were RIFed Friday.

“The RIF of OSERS and OESE doubles down on the harm to K-12 students and schools across the country, which are already feeling the impacts of a hamstring Office for Civil Rights (OCR) from the March RIF,” she said.

News of the shutdown RIF was surprising for many within the special education offices. The employees who lost their jobs are distraught, according to the source familiar with the RIF.

Education department sources also told ABC News that the job cuts could hamstring states.

“If this RIF notice is carried out, the Department of Education can no longer administer IDEA,” one source said. “I have no staff to put the money out and to monitor the states.”

Critics of the Trump administration’s plans to shutter the agency told ABC News that preserving IDEA is one of their top concerns. It is a statutory program mandated by law and has bipartisan support on Capitol Hill.

Education Secretary Linda McMahon, whose mission is to return education power and responsibilities to the state and local level, has attempted to assuage concerns by stating that the department would continue to fully fund and carry out all of Congress’ statutorily required programs.

But the education department leader told ABC News that the latest RIF flies in the face of McMahon’s pledges.

“She’s consistently said she’ll protect IDEA,” the source said. “Well, now, this is not protecting IDEA if they’re getting rid of the team,” adding, “What is she doing with IDEA? Who’s going to administer it?”

The Department of Education did not immediately respond to ABC News’ requests for comment.

President Trump has said the Health and Human Services Department under Robert F. Kennedy Jr. will handle the special needs and nutrition programs for students, but that transfer has not happened yet.

Meanwhile, the education department leader predicts remaining staff within the special education division will not be equipped to take on the responsibility of those who were fired.

“That’s like taking a surgeon and telling them you’re now a brick layer or telling a brick layer you’re now a surgeon: It’s like you just don’t do that,” the leader said. “It’s just so absurd.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/special-education-staff-decimated-after-trump-administration-shutdown/story?id=126432474